last weekend was a really busy weekend of firsts for me. it was the fist time i ever went to barbarella three nights in a row. the first time i ever wore a pancho dress with a hood. first time i ever filled my pancho dress hood with little dinky things like boucy balls and vegan cookies. (boucy balls are da-best for throwing on a crowded dance floor btw). and first time i ever witnessed a goat roast. you might know that i’m a vegetarian, and have been for 11+ years, so i don’t want to talk about that last “first” anymore. point is, andrew cobb is a dear friend and it was his birthday and a band was playing and there were lots of dogs (thats always a plus for makenzie) and the whole thing was just such a joy. thank you andrew for stumbling across this here blog and letting it open the first door that opened every other door into the life you live now. (matt trimble, i’m taking all the credit for that. just so you know!) oh and for being born. you’re a great friend and human in general and i hope this year is full of mostly happiness (because total happiness is unrealistic. obviously)
the band btw is called cactus cats and they played their first real show at fitz on wednesday. whoop whoop. they’re way good and i’d recommend spending your time and money on them.
also the cheese and bread in the pictures above were made at andrew’s house by friends that day. so freakin cool.
my goodness. its already monday? ok so i just did too much dang dancing and bike riding and going on dates and dancing and cheap drink drinking and biking and potluck birthday-ing and dancing to have the events calendar posted by this morning. so dang. just hold off until this afternoon, and after a nap i’ll get it done.
ok . YAY i got it done.
monday october 27 2014:
- free show at voodoo queen: geoffrey + kelly doyle + craig kinsey playing some fun cover tunes . 10pm – 12midnight . FREE
tuesday october 28, 2014:
- oktoberfest . rice farmers market . rice university parking lot (by the football stadium) . 3:30-evening . FREE
- 27th annual dia de los muertos musical ofrenda . lawndale art center . 5:30pm . FREE
- shared storytelling workshop . green building resource center 1002 washington ave . 7-8:45pm . FREE
- warehouse live comedy open mic // costume contest . warehouse live . doors at 8pm show at 9pm . FREE
wednesday october 29, 2014:
- part of Transformed+Renewed: an evening in the east end . 301 n drennan . 6pm . FREE
- northside artist meet and greet . winter st studios . 6pm . FREE
- cactus cats are playing their first real show! (they played a little show at andrew cobbs party this weekend and are so SO good) . fitzgeralds . 8pm . $
thursday october 30, 2014:
- beetleween (dress as your favorite beatles moment/lyric/song/character) . continental club . 7-10pm . FREE
- music at the park: the suffers . market square park . 7:30pm . FREE
friday october 31, 2014:
- critical mass . meet at market square park . 7pm . FREE (i’m hoping to go for a little bit)
- 8th annual montrose crawl . all along westheimer . 7pm – 2am . FREE
- the omen halloween entertainment (an interactive and immersive halloween thing) alley kat bar & lounge. 7:30pm . $10 in advance + $20 at the door
- halloween party // ratio closing . el rincon social . 9pm – 1am . FREE
saturday november 1, 2014:
- htx bike fest 3 . market square park . 10am – 6pm . FREE + $5 recommended donation to a dog charity
- 27th annual dia de los muertos: family day fiesta . lawndale art center . 12noon . FREE
- three houses: closing performance (an art thing) . art league . 2pm . FREE
- “voodoo at the LOO” music + food + farm . last organic outpost . 4-9pm . FREE
- evening on the esplanade: day of the dead: chocolate wasted ice cream bus . navigation at nagle st . 5-9pm . FREE
- art opening + reception . g gallery . 6pm . FREE
- right here, right now: houston “performance art . CAMH . 6:30-7pm . FREE
- HAUS of the living dead party . uRth house 1917 ruth st . 8pm – 3am . FREE
sunday november 2, 2014:
- the market at mid-main . mid main 3622 main st . 10am . FREE
- sunday streets houston: greater third ward . along almeda // alabama // dowling . 12noon – 4pm . FREE
- e’chingon day of the dead dinner: a pop up dinner . cafe th .5pm – 12am . $10-20+
on going events in houston this week:
- the adams family (a HITS play) . miller outdoor . thursday // friday // saturday 7:30pm . FREE
- houston fine art festival 2014 . discovery green . saturday 10am // sunday 11am . FREE
- MECAs 15th annual dia de los muertos festival . MECA 1900 kane st . saturday 11am // sunday 11am . FREE
thanks to all the friends who sat with me + watched my fingers while i typed + made me laugh while doing this. i like you guys.
monday october 20, 2014:
- tiny concert: julia blake . poison girl . 10pm . FREE (thanks black hole cashier + Christopher)
tuesday october 21, 2014:
- grown-up story time 71 . rudyards . 8pm . $5 (i want to go, who will join me?)
wednesday october 22, 2014:
- don’t shoot rally at HPD HQ . hpd hq corner of polk and travis downtown . 5-7pm . FREE
- movie night: young frankenstein . market square park . 7pm . FREE
thursday october 23, 2014:
- music at the park: t birds and the breaks + mikey and the drags . 6:30pm . FREE
friday october 24, 2014:
- wherefore art thou ride (bike ride to places with art) . tout suite . 5:30pm . FREE
saturday october 25, 2014:
- project row houses’ third ward community market & talent showcase . project row houses 2521 holman st . 2pm . FREE
- pop-up shop . mam’s snoballs 1040 w cavalcade . 3-9pm . FREE
- prairie walking tour along buffalo bayou park . lee and joe jamail skate park . 5:30pm . FREE (remember how chris and i are certified for this)
- association manifest presents point of view on the street corner: the american corner (modern dance thing?) . market square park . 6pm . FREE
- art opening + reception . mcmurtery gallery . 2508 lake st . 6pm . FREE
- art opening + reception . moody gallery . 2815 colquitt . 6pm . FREE
- art opening + reception: ratio photography exhibit . 7pm . FREE
- the bootown bash . the summit 3536 navigation . 8pm . $25 (includes lots of food and drinkies)
- wicked things halloween party 2014 . houston maker space . 9pm . $40 (its makerspace so i’m sure it’ll be good!)
sunday october 26, 2014:
- volenteer houston’s 40th birthday celebration and volunteer fair . discovery green . 11:30 . FREE (what is this all about? it’s free so …. humm)
- 2nd annual freaky tiki zombie party . double trouble . 7-11pm . FREE
on going events this week:
- HITS presents (a play) the adams family . thursday // friday // saturday . 7:30pm . FREE (this looks like a thing to go to!)
- film screening: jules and jim . MFAH . friday 7:30 / sunday 5pm . $9 (how do i know about this movie? makenzie?)
so a thing about me is that when i fall for a new band/artist, i fall hard. like obsessively. i listen to them, and only them, and all of them on spotify nonstop all the time until i know all the words to all of their songs. most recently i’ve done this with trampled by turtles, but right before them i was all about nikki lane. when i saw she was coming to houston to do a free show i made a little noise out loud (i was alone in my room making my events calendar at the time, just to put things in perspective for ya). the show was like the best thing ever.
i have a little problem exaggerating sometimes so, just for you tony, i’ll try to tell this part of the story honestly. ok, so i was front center during the show and singing along/ tapping my foot the whole time. right after her set ,nikki kinda skipped (this is where it’s hard for me to remember exactly what happened, so…) point is she got off the stage and walked right up to me and hugged me and then asked, “have we met?” and i said, “no, but i dressed like you today on purpose and love your music” and she said, “ya girl i love your outfit – it seems like we’d be friends or like we’ve already met or something!” them she talked to a few other people and when i saw her later in the autograph line she wrote “to dena my friend and twin” on the LP i bought and drew a little heart tattoo with my name inside it on the picture of her arm on a poster. and WOW the whole thing was very very exciting for me! so if you don’t already like nikki lane, go listen to her and maybe she can be your role model too!
monday october 13, 2014:
- houston urban gardeners meeting: all about composting . multi-service center 1475 west gray . 6:30pm . FREE + all be there !
tuesday october 14, 2014:
- charity trivia night hosted by the story houston . the phoenix on westheimer 1915 westheimer rd . 7pm . $10 donation per person (if you like trivia this sounds so so cool)
- the moth houston: hunger . warehouse live . 7:30 stories begin . $8
wednesday october 15, 2014:
- poetry slam . avant garden . 7:30pm . $5
thursday october 16, 2014:
- architecture center houston walking tour: downtown geology tour . phoenicia . 10am . $10
- blanket bingo . market square park . 6pm . $10
- houston artist talk: debra barrera in conversation with bill arning and toby kamps . CAMH . 6:30pm . FREE
- sounds like houston: rodney crowell + grand old grizzly . discovery green . 6:30pm . FREE
- fierce films by carolee schneemann . aurora picture show . 7pm . $10
friday october 17, 2014:
- art opening + reception: fancy: a jewelry show . texas art asylum 1719 live oak st . 5:30pm . FREE
- suplex presents: three exhibitions . axlerad building 1517 alabama . 6pm . FREE (what is this? is it going to be cool? do i need to go?)
saturday october 18, 2014:
- grand opening of the new garden pavilion at hermann park . hermann park 9:30am . FREE
- korean festival 2014 . discovery green . 10am . FREE
- pre-halloween dog costume party . ervan chew dog park (the one on dunlavy) . 11am . FREE
- pop shop hosts: the hello lucky craftacular . 1657 westheimer . 12noon – 4pm . FREE
- houston’s best halloween bash . the silo 4601 clinton dr . 1pm . $10 (a lot of cool people are going to this … so …)
- skill set: batik dyeing with travis boyer . CAMH . 2-4pm . $25 (i did a skill set at the CAMH on macramé a few months ago and it was so worth it + cool!)
- bicycle speed shop grand opening . 1123 e 11th st . 2pm . FREE
- round 41: process and action: an exploration of ideas opening . project row houses . 4-7pm . FREE
- art opening + reception: monster show 8 . insomnia 724 w 19th st . 7-10pm . FREE
sunday october 19, 2014:
- 3rd annual worst tattoo in houston contest + bands . rudyards . 2-10pm . $10
- sketchbook saloon. the corkscrew 1308 w 20th st . 2pm . $ (?)
- art safari (art + music) . 3621 canal st . 6pm – 12midnight . $10 or $12 for 2
makenzie and i volunteered at this year’s zine fest. we were the front desk // information girls. makenzie did the little clicker to count how many people attended (some crazy number like 700 people or something!) and we shared the job of “spiel-giving”. the spiel went something like: welcome to zine fest // would you like a map of then vendors + list of events //here is a sign up email list if your interested // you like my outfit, why thank you! (just kidding that didn’t really happend, although i did look good) yes the event is free but we’re taking donations // umm humm maria and stacy are around here somewhere // and a blah blah blah. i practiced taking a deep breath, not getting stressed out, and speaking really really slow and clear which if you know me in real life is really hard for me to do when i’m excited.
by the end of the third hour we were kinda tired of using our mouths. i thought i had taken better pictures of the actual event, but dang looks like this is all i have. oh well, if you’re cool you were there in real life – so you don’t even need my stinkin pictures anyway.
also, that night (after i ordered the sweetest-most-not-tasting-like-alcohol drink at voodoo queen and got a little more humm, we’ll say fun and after makenzie and i requested and danced to one million songs on the jukebox) we biked on over (with all our friends) to zine prom (which i accidentally kept calling “bike prom”)(remember when i went to that and wrote about it HERE) point is the party was way fun. and the decorations. wow. so freakin cute! (i can say that because makenzie and i helped make a lot of them. then it was house party time and the night just kept going and going. i freakin love houston!
monday october 6, 2014:
- cactus instore: nikki lane . cactus music . 5:30pm . FREE music + beer . (this is my GIRL, am so excited to see her free this evening!)
tuesday october 7, 2014:
- wood shop orientation and certification . houston makerspace . 6-8pm . $25
- circus arts . discovery green . 5:30 – 7pm . FREE + it’s a workshop thing, so get ready!
- screening: let your light shine . aurora picture show . 7pm . FREE
- neo benshi 3 . pj’s sports bar . 8pm . $5 . makenzie? john?
wednesday october 8, 2014:
- cactus instore: colony house . cactus music . 6pm . FREE music + beer
- pinterest craft night: leather tassels with maclean smyth . houston makerspace . 6-8pm . $15
thursday october 9, 2014:
- opening reception: women in architecture (in houston) . architecture center houston 315 capital st . 5:30 – 7pm . FREE
- stamps & stationery . houston makerspace . 6-8pm . $35
- concert on the green: the jones family singers + milton hopkins opens . discovery green . 6:30pm . FREE
- illumination of houston city hall . 6:30 – 7:30 . FREE
- muse noire (seems to be nude life drawing) . 3621 canal st . 8-11pm . $10
friday october 10, 2014:
- art opening + reception . anya tish gallery 4411 montrose . 6pm . FREE
- lunada: houston symphony .miller outdoor theatre . 7:30pm . FREE
saturday october 11, 2014:
- bayou city outdoors farmer’s market bike ride . meet at onion creek . 8am . FREE
- yoga . discovery green . 9-10am . FREE
- wood shop orientation and certification . houston makerspace . 1-am – 12noon . $25
- pop shop hosts: the hello lucky craftacular . 1657 westheimer . 12noon – 4pm . FREE
- houston family day ft. travis boyer (come make yarn pom-poms) . CAMH . 12noon . FREE
- untapped music + beer fest . discovery green . 2:30 – 10:30pm . $$ . only posting this because i’ll be there! yay robert ellis!
- houston lecture: triple candie . CAMH . 4pm . FREE
- terrarium contrsuction and maintenance with maclean smyth .houston makerspace . 4-6pm . $45
- art opening (fiber artist) . gallery m squared 339 w 19th st . 7pm . FREE
- concerts at the square: bruce and kelly show . market square park . 7:30pm . FREE
- silos II: inter/action & noche roja . 490 n love oak . 7:30 – 10:30pm . FREE (i hope i get to leave untapped early and go to this hint*hint*)
sunday october 12, 2014:
- sunday streets houston: the heights . along 19th from heights to shepherd . 12noon – 4pm . FREE . GO TO THIS!
- mini pops! pavement clothing 1657 westheimer rd . 12noon – 6pm . FREE
- dia de la hispanidad ft. siudy – between worlds (flamenco dancing + drumming) . miller outdoor theatre . 8pm . FREE
on going events this week:
- the sound of music . hspva . all week . $15-25 aww yea y’all !
- too many “cactus instores” to list . check out there website for a list of free shows and free beermill
- east end bicycle opera . ripley house 4410 navigation . FREE (it’s a Transported&renewed thing)
- hear our houston east end walking tour (this looks weird//cool)
- patrick renner: conduit . eastwood park 5020 harrisburg
just on a whim, i took an intro to jewelry class at houston makerspace last month. i like it so much i signed up for the next series class “beginning jewelry making” the following week. so this is where and how i’ve spent my last three monday evenings: cutting // filing // drilling // grinding // and learning to use an oxy/acetylene torch. the first class was just an intro to tools and techniques, from there we came up with a project and claire webb (our instructor) helped us out.
i made a half a dozen rings, the most exciting of which uses a piece of fluorite i bought from the rock shop in marfa, tx a few years ago. (there is a close up below) the rest are just simple bands or adjustable brass ones. point is, i loved this class and i’m excited to either take the next one in the series, or at least get a houston makerspace membership and come back on my own. if i like you in real life, get ready to get some brass stacking rings for christmas!
monday september 29, 2014:
- national coffee day – FREE expresso + daily blacks from 5-7am . blacksmith 1018 westheimer . 5-7am . FREE
- chopped challenge dinner . last organic outpost 711 emile st . 5:30pm . FREE
tuesday september 30, 2014:
- circus arts . discovery green . 5:30 – 7pm . FREE (its a workshop, so wear yoga kind of clothes)
- yoga . discovery green . 6:30 – 7:30pm . FREE
- the intergalactic nemesis . miller outdoor theatre . 7:30pm . FREE
wednesday october 1, 2014:
- third coast dance film festival . diverse works 4102 fannin . 6-8pm . FREE (?) it’s been a while since i’ve been to a “modern dance” thing – any of my modern dance fan friends want to go to this
thursday october 2, 2014:
- first thursday benefiting KPFT 90.1 radio . mid main 3700 main st . 5pm – 12midnight . FREE
- concert series: buxton + wild moccasins . discovery green . 6pm (coin toss to see which band plays first) . FREE . it’ll be like old times – anyone want to ride + picnic there
- the museum of carnal possibilities live document 1 (a music thing) . sound exchange richmond 1846 richmond . 7pm . FREE
friday october 3, 2014:
- first friday potluck . uRth house 1917 ruth st . 5pm – 2am . FREE
- art opening + reception: diabolical art show . east end studio gallery 708 telephone rd . 6-9pm . FREE
- gulf coast reading series presented by gulf coast: a journal of literature and fine arts . 7pm . rudyards . FREE
- film screening: happy gilmore . discovery green . 7:30 – 9pm . FREE
saturday october 4, 2014:
- yoga . discovery green . 9am . FREE
- afloat! a parade on water . allens landing – buffalo bayou . 11am – 1pm . FREE
- hands-on houston family festival . houston center for contemporary craft . 11am . FREE
- zine fest houston 2014 . the museum of printing history 1324 w clays st . 2-8pm . FREE + makenzie and i will be volunteering at the information table – come see us and ask us questions!
- houston city dance presents “october mixed bag” . city dance studio 1307 w clay (do this and zine fest – they’re on the same street!) . 4pm . $8
- the fab 40 performs the beatles’ “revolver” . discovery green . 8pm . FREE
- zine fest houston: zine prom . the summit 3536 navigation . 9pm . FREE . YES PLEASE! sounds like a dress up dance party!
sunday october 5, 2014:
- the market at midmain . tinderbox craft collective . 10am – 4pm . FREE
- a fistful of soul presents “deep shadows” . little dipper . 8pm – 12midnight . FREE
- houston chamber choir presents: love me do: songs of the 60’s . miller outdoor theatre . 8pm . FREE . who will go and sing + dance with me? kyle?
on going events this week in houston:
- houston greek festival . AOS . october 2nd – 5th . $$
- catastrophic theatre presents: detroit . catastrophic theatre 1119 east freeway . thursday – saturday . 8pm . $pay-what-you-can$
- houston sceane hosts: jack the ripper paranormal experience . la carafe 813 congress . wednesday + sunday . 7pm . $20
holy heck – what even was last weekend? pretty much just like the most fun jam packed few days ever. if you were a part of it then you know what i’m talkin about. i guess bike polo is alright and meh, will probably go back someday and i’m so excited to know about cirque de vie and hope to see them again soon. i loved biking everywhere and dancing at every venue and now it’s a new week and there are so many art opening things and movies and free shows and i’m excited all over again. if i like you please come out and lets do it all over again.
monday september 22, 2014:
- instore: luke sweeney . cactus music . 5:30pm . FREE
- i’m be at my second out of three jewelry making + soldering workshop at houston makerspace . be jealous
- rudyards open mic comedy night . rudyards . doors at 7:30pm . FREE
tuesday september 23, 2014:
- candle making . the tinderbox craft collective 3622 main st . 11am – 6pm . $8 (must RSVP or register online before hand) . makenzie + friends who are interested – i already paid for mine online … so get on it
- circus arts (it’s the group from the makerspace (cirque la vie) last week – and it’s a workshop kind of thing) . discovery green . 5:30 – 7pm . wear work out clothes and bring a yoga mat
- houston art alliance + HPL art opening reception: stories of a workforce: celebrating the centennial of the houston ship channel . julia ideson library . 5:30pm . FREE
- bootown presents: projectorphiles with special musical guest mikey and the drags . rudyards . 8pm . pay-what-you-can // $10
wednesday september 24, 2014:
- instore: jimbo mathus . cactus music . 5:30pm . FREE
- bootown presents: projectorfiles with special guest kose . rudyards . 8pm . pay-what-you-can // $10 .
thursday september 25, 2014:
- art opening + recpetion . gremillion & co 2501 sunset blvd . 6pm . FREE
- sounds like houston concert series: paul thorn + craig kinsey . discovery green . 6:30pm . FREE
- performance + conversation: nathaniel donnett . CAMH . 6:30pm . FREE
friday september 26, 2014:
- art opening + reception . houston center for contemporary craft . 5:30pm . FREE . someone bike with me here!
- art opening + reception . sojourn montrose 1834 1/2 westheimer . 6pm . FREE
- art opening // reception // performance: autumn knight’s GYN . fresh arts 2101 winter st . 6-8pm . FREE
- critical mass . market square park . 7pm . FREE . maybe i’m doing this with a guy i like ….
- film series: GMO OMG . discovery green . 8pm . FREE
- MAKENZIE GUESS WHAT! film screening: romy and michele’s high school reunion . greenstreet 1201 fannin st . 8pm . FREE . MAKENZIE IT’S OUR FAVORITE MOVIE – anyone else want to come and make it a girls night out?!?!
saturday september 27, 2014:
- yoga . discovery green . 9am . FREE
- cassette store day . cactus music . ALL DAY . FREE
- “the museum experience 2014” children’s // health museum //HMNS // zoo // rice university art gallery . FREE – $
- architecture center walking tour: museum district . meet at the miro sculpture insdie the sculpture garden . 10am . $10
- instore: def perception . cactus music . 3pm . FREE
- zine fest houston ZINE PROM decorating party . houston makerspace 100 hutcheson .4-8pm . FREE . girl? are you really going to this – sounds like crafts and dancing, our favorites!
- “the visual stimulus package 6” (an art show with all pieces for sale at either $50 or $100)
- film screening: the bill chill . market square park . 7:30pm . FREE
- fall bi-annual art opening: 3 buildings + 180 artists . spring st studios . 6-10pm . FREE + FREE ALCOHOL and SNACKS . this is like the ultimate art opening : can all my friends bike with me here, PLEASE!
sunday september 28, 2014:
- so far not much …
on going events in houston this week:
- houston fringe festival . september 24 – 28 . around east end . $10 a show
- dog days at discovery green . friday // saturday // sunday at 8am . FREE . halie + kyle, you guys like pets …
- splendid china IX . miller outdoor theatre . friday // saturday . 8pm . FREE
- modern dance: nebria . suchu dance 3480 ella blvd . the weekend . 8pm . $20
- is anyone else wanting to go to a haunted house this fall? i haven’t been since high school when i got pushed down some stairs in the dark and trampled on (remember that halie!), and well, i think it’s time to try again